Breaking News
Home | Top Stories | Student arrested after shooting at French high school

Student arrested after shooting at French high school

A 17-YEAR-OLD student has reportedly opened fire at a high school on the French Riviera, injuring two people and prompting the government to issue a terror warning.

French media reports the student was armed with two revolvers, a hunting rifle and grenades when he opened fire at the Alexis de Tocqueville college, in the small southern French town of Grasse, on Thursday morning.

The headmaster was reportedly among two people “lightly injured” in the attack.

Some local reports say the shooting was linked to a “dispute between two students”, but others claim the shooter targeted the headmaster.

Anti-terror police swooped on the scene, as the French government issued a terror warning for the entire country.

A source told Reuters it was too early to say whether it was a terrorist attack, but that one suspect had been arrested and a second was possibly being sought.

According to local reports, the 17-year-old student was arrested while an accomplice is on the run. Early reports suggested as many as three gunmen could be in the school, but this has not been confirmed.

Local emergency services advised residents on Twitter to stay at home. The government launched its mobile telephone application warning of a “terrorist” attack. Education authorities said all schools in Grasse have been locked down.

France remains in a state of emergency after a string of deadly Islamic attacks over the past two years.

It comes after a letter bomb exploded at the French office of the International Monetary Fund, lightly injuring one person, according to Paris police.

Staff from the IMF office were evacuated and armed military officers and police guarded the area, in a chic district of western Paris. The World Bank office in France is in the same compound.

It is unclear who sent the homemade explosive on Thursday, which was like a “big firecracker” and sent by regular mail, said Paris police chief Michel Cadot.

He said the IMF office had received threatening phone calls in recent days but they were not necessarily linked to Thursday’s incident.

Click here to Read from the source

x

Check Also

SW “poisoned” pond claims a false alarm

Claims that ponds in Bridgetown’s Peace Park have been “poisoned” have been rejected by Landcare ...

Shares