Breaking News
Home | Top Stories | WA detective says Lloyd Rayney’s behaviour ‘made him a suspect’

WA detective says Lloyd Rayney’s behaviour ‘made him a suspect’

A WA detective who investigated Corryn Rayney’s murder has told her husband’s defamation trial that physical evidence and his behaviour made the barrister a suspect.

Detective Sergeant Ian Moore said when Mr Rayney was named the only suspect by Det Sen Sgt Jack Lee in September 2007, there were “lots of other persons of interest” and he was automatically included.

“Statistically, it is highly likely that a husband is responsible for the murder of his wife,” he said in his statement.

“Lloyd Rayney’s actions and behaviour, the evidence of witnesses and physical material elevated my level of suspicion against Lloyd Rayney.”

It’s the most expensive and controversial case in WA’s legal history.

Det Sgt Moore said he did not believe it was a “random attack”, saying they were usually disorganised and done in the spur of the moment.

“I did not believe a random attacker would go to such effort to bury the body,” he said.

The detective said there was no direct evidence the Supreme Court registrar had been sexually assaulted, and the possibility of a robbery was negated by the $100 found in the glove box.

He also noted the “acrimonious, toxic” state of the couple’s relationship amid claims of infidelity and gambling.

Det Sgt Moore later learned two people saw Mr Rayney mowing his front verge days after his wife died in August 2007.

Detective Ian Moore said it was noteworthy that Lloyd Rayney was mowing his own lawn.
Detective Ian Moore said it was noteworthy that Lloyd Rayney was mowing his own lawn.Picture: Justin Benson-Cooper, The West Australian

It was significant because they had not seen him do it before and the family’s gardener had done the job the day after Ms Rayney was murdered.

“The only logical explanation I could come to from his actions was that he was trying to destroy, conceal or remove potential evidence relating to the murder of his wife from the front verge.”

Det Sgt Moore was also involved in recreating the burial of Ms Rayney at Kings Park.

He said he dug the hole in 17 minutes, then placed the dummy as the body had been found, removed the mannequin and filled the hole in 15 minutes.

The entire process, including camouflaging the site, took 38 minutes.

In the two-and-a-half hours that officers were there, 10 vehicles drove by but none slowed or stopped.

“This indicated to me that the task could be completed with relative ease without coming to the attention of other vehicles or persons in Kings Park,” he said.

Det Sgt Moore was breathless and sweating during the recreation, which was played to the court.

“I found it difficult to talk and conduct the exercise,” he testified.

Asked whether his sweat would have been transferred to the dummy, the detective said he was unsure, but admitted it was possible sweat could be on the car.

The court heard the detective was also younger, taller and fitter than Mr Rayney.

Mr Rayney was acquitted of murdering the mother-of-two in 2012 and an appeal was dismissed.

Click here to Read from the source


Check Also

Glory plea for fan loyalty after another loss

7News Update Harley Bennell begins training with Peel Harley Bennell begins training with Peel The ...